Details | Videos
Case videosAdd info | Back to top
- Video title: Buying vs Building Technology: Which is Right for You?
- Video description: "In this interview from MarketingSherpa Email Summit 2015, Courtney Eckerle, Reporter, MarketingSherpa, discussed with Preston Wily, President, Sewell, how marketers can know when to buy or build technology. Preston used his own company as an example to explain the need to clarify the ultimate goals of the technology as well as how to recover when mistakes are made." - MarketingSherpa, 2015-05-15
Case summaryAdd info | Back to top
“Lehi man arrested for allegedly possessing several child exploitation images
By Ryann Richardson daily Herald – | Jun 10, 2020
A Lehi man is in custody facing charges for child sexual exploitation after allegedly sharing inappropriate pictures of minors.
According to the probable cause statement filed in support of the arrest, several files including material related to child sexual exploitation were shared from an IP address over a peer-to-peer network on Feb. 20.
During the investigation, officials with the Utah Attorney General’s Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force discovered the IP address belonged to a user residing in Utah County.
The task force recorded information on the residence of the IP address and executed a search warrant Tuesday morning where they made contact with 41-year-old Robert Preston Wily, who was residing in the residence.
Police took Wily into custody and read him his Miranda rights. Wily agreed to speak with authorities, allegedly telling them he used the peer-to-peer network to download images and videos of child sexual exploitation, according to arrest documents.
After downloading the files, Wily also told police he would repeatedly engage in sexual acts while looking at the images and videos, including on the day of the arrest.
Wily provided the password to his laptop, which the police used to gain access to the computer that he allegedly used to view the child sexual exploitation material.
When officials opened the laptop, they reportedly discovered an open web browser with multiple tabs open, showing child sexual exploitation files. According to the probable cause affidavit, links within the webpage also led to other files of a similar manner.
The images allegedly showed girls between the ages of 8 and 13 years old in various stages of undress.
Wily was taken into custody under the suspicion of second-degree felony sexual exploitation of a minor. He is currently being held at the Utah County Jail.
Arresting officers have petitioned that he be held on a high bail set to $500,000 as he has access to a child within the age range of the girls depicted in the files, is considered a flight risk due to his frequent travels outside of the country, and has a previous conviction for sexual battery and sexual assault from 2003.”
Utah court case number 201100743
“Hello there – my name is Preston Wily and I consider myself to be an up-and-coming internet marketer. I am the director of marketing for a small, but successful, internet retailer, Sewell Direct.
Here is a quick background: I grew up in Richmond, VA and graduated high school in 1997. After that, I served a full-time mission for my church in California for two years. After my mission, I moved to Utah to finish up my BS in Economics at Brigham Young University. After a few odd jobs and an internship in California, I ended up working as a marketing assistant for a small company near BYU in 2002. Since that time, I have been learning more about the profession and other aspects of running a small business. The purpose of my blog is to share some of the things I learn along the way with friends, associates and anybody else who might be reading this blog.”
Donate to help FLOODLIT cover our research expenses, including obtaining court records and police documents.
- Lehi man arrested for allegedly possessing several child exploitation images - Provo Daily Herald, 2020-06-10 (archive) - -
- 2010 CNN article mentioning the accused's son taking part in a church nursery program (archive) - -
- obituary of the accused's grandfather (archive) - -
- 2004 BYU commencement ceremony listing the accused (archive) - -
- Archived link from prestonwily.com confirming the accused was LDS (archive) - -
LDS/Mormon church membership historyAdd info | Back to top
LDS mission information
FLOODLIT is not aware whether the accused served a full-time LDS mission.
LDS temple marriage information
FLOODLIT is not aware whether the accused was married in a Mormon temple.
EducationAdd info | Back to top
Work historyAdd info | Back to top
Alleged crime(s)Add info | Back to top
Alleged victim(s)Add info | Back to top
- Number of alleged victim(s) - note if approximate:
- Average age of alleged victim(s) at time of alleged crime(s):
Arrest(s)Add info | Back to top
Criminal charge(s)Add info | Back to top
Criminal verdict(s)Add info | Back to top
Criminal sentenceAdd info | Back to top
Prison timeAdd info | Back to top
Other court casesAdd info | Back to top
LDS church response(s)Add info | Back to top
- Alleged failure to report by local LDS leaders? unknown
- Alleged misconduct by local LDS leaders? unknown
- Alleged misconduct by global LDS leaders? unknown
FLOODLIT is not aware whether the Mormon church paid any settlement amounts related to this case.