Details | Videos
Case videosAdd info | Back to top
- Video title: Arthur Gary Bishop: Child Molester and Serial Killer Documentary
- Video description: The Killer Next Door
- Video title: Arthur Gary Bishop
- Video description: In advance of a Discovery Channel documentary KUTV's Chris Jones takes a look at the crimes which, thirty years ago, held Salt Lake City in the grip of fear.
Case summaryAdd info | Back to top
Note: FLOODLIT is not aware of any instances of sexual abuse allegedly committed by Bishop before he left the LDS church; however, we believe his inclusion in our database is justified because of the possibility that he molested or harmed other victims who may not have been able or willing to come forward, and because we feel that the high-profile public nature of his case and the extensive public documentation surrounding it provide fertile ground for research in this topic.
This case arose in 1978 in Utah.
Bishop molested many children and killed five boys.
He grew up LDS and served an LDS mission to the Philippines.
He was excommunicated from the Mormon church in the 1970s.
On his last day alive in Utah State Prison, Bishop read from the Book of Mormon prior to being executed by lethal injection.
Donate to help FLOODLIT cover our research expenses, including obtaining court records and police documents.
LDS/Mormon church membership historyAdd info | Back to top
LDS mission information
The accused served a full-time LDS mission in the Philippine Islands / Philippines mission from 1971 to 1973.
LDS temple marriage information
The accused was not married in a Mormon temple.
EducationAdd info | Back to top
Work historyAdd info | Back to top
Alleged crime(s)Add info | Back to top
Alleged victim(s)Add info | Back to top
- Number of alleged victim(s) - note if approximate:
- Average age of alleged victim(s) at time of alleged crime(s):
Arrest(s)Add info | Back to top
Criminal charge(s)Add info | Back to top
Criminal verdict(s)Add info | Back to top
Criminal sentenceAdd info | Back to top
Prison timeAdd info | Back to top
Other court casesAdd info | Back to top
LDS church response(s)Add info | Back to top
- Alleged failure to report by local LDS leaders? no
- Alleged misconduct by local LDS leaders? no
- Alleged misconduct by global LDS leaders? no
FLOODLIT is not aware whether the Mormon church paid any settlement amounts related to this case.