Case summaryAdd info | Back to top
Richard Blaine Sampson is a convicted child sexual abuser and former Provo, Utah MTC doctor.
FLOODLIT has obtained copies of Utah court documents confirming Sampson’s status as a sex offender.
Description of Sampson’s sex crimes by a Provo Police Department officer:
“Between approximately 2002 and continuing up through 2011, the defendant touched the genitalia of 5 of his granddaughters and/or had them touch his genitals. He also exposed his genital area to two other granddaughters during this time frame. All of the granddaughters were under the age of 14 when they were molested. These incidents occurred primarily in Provo, Utah but also happened in Gilbert, Arizona and Phoenix, Arizona.”
From approximately 1988 to 2003, Sampson worked at Kings Health Medical Group in Hanford, California.
In 2003, Sampson moved from the Hanford, California area to Provo, Utah to take a position as Director of Medical Affairs for the Missionary Training Center, the LDS church’s flagship training center for full-time missionaries.
Sampson lived in Provo, UT in 2010.
He was bishop of the Provo Peak 7th Ward from 2005-2010.
He was a stake high council member, Hanford, CA, unknown dates.
He was a stake presidency member, Hanford, CA, 1997.
Sampson was convicted on 2014-03-25.
Sampson’s wife filed for divorce in 2015.
Sampson was paroled on 2022-10-04.
As of January 2023, Sampson’s status was marked as “parole” by the Utah state government website.
Offender Number: 217615
Donate to help FLOODLIT cover our research expenses, including obtaining court records and police documents.
- Fourth District Judicial Court - American Fork - Utah County, Utah - Case Number 131101598 (archive) - -
- the accused takes a job as MTC director of medical affairs - Hanford Sentinel - 2003-05-09 (archive) - -
- offender number: 217615 (archive) - -
- Richard Sampson of Utah - Offender Radar - accessed 2023-01-26 (archive) - -
- Mormon Stories - biographical details about the accused (archive) - -
LDS/Mormon church membership historyAdd info | Back to top
LDS mission information
The accused did not serve a full-time LDS mission.
LDS temple marriage information
FLOODLIT is not aware whether the accused was married in a Mormon temple.
EducationAdd info | Back to top
Work historyAdd info | Back to top
Alleged crime(s)Add info | Back to top
Alleged victim(s)Add info | Back to top
- Number of alleged victim(s) - note if approximate:
- Average age of alleged victim(s) at time of alleged crime(s):
Arrest(s)Add info | Back to top
Criminal charge(s)Add info | Back to top
Criminal verdict(s)Add info | Back to top
Criminal sentenceAdd info | Back to top
Prison timeAdd info | Back to top
Other court casesAdd info | Back to top
LDS church response(s)Add info | Back to top
- Alleged failure to report by local LDS leaders? no
- Alleged misconduct by local LDS leaders? no
- Alleged misconduct by global LDS leaders? no
FLOODLIT is not aware whether the Mormon church paid any settlement amounts related to this case.