Details | Videos
Case videosAdd info | Back to top
- Video title: Seminary teacher accused of sexually assaulting student - YouTube - 2009-07-11
- Video description: Police have arrested the seminary principal of Lone Peak High School on allegations he had several sexual encounters with a 16-year-old student.
Case summaryAdd info | Back to top
This case arose in 2007 in Utah.
Michael J. Pratt is a former seminary principal from Orem, Utah, who developed a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old student. In September 2010, he was ordered to serve five years to life in the Utah State Prison after previously pleading guilty to two counts of object rape, forcible sodomy and forcible sex abuse. As of December 2022, he is currently incarcerated at the Utah Department of Corrections – (UT DOC), located in Draper, UT.
LDS Michael J. Pratt an LDS Seminary Leader is arrested for the sexual abuse of a 16 year old seminary student. Judge Christine Johnson “sentenced Pratt to three concurrent terms of five years to life in prison and an additional one to fifteen year sentence.” Pratt pleaded guilty. The victim was allegedly ostracized at school and on Facebook and her stepfather commented that Pratt tried to “deflect the blame from himself onto his victim.
LDS seminary principal is arrested in sexual abuse By Sara Israelsen-Hartley, Deseret
News Published: Saturday, July 11 2009
“Sheriff’s investigators said Michael Pratt, 37, of Orem was principal at Lone Peak High
School’s Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints seminary when he was arrested
Thursday on multiple charges, including aggravated forcible sexual abuse, forcible sodomy
and object rape.”
Mormon seminary principal in Utah suspected of sex with student
principal of the Lone Peak High School LDS seminary
“Pratt was booked into the Utah County Jail with a $20,000 cash bail. He faces three counts of aggravated kidnapping, unlawful sexual conduct with a 16- or 17-year-old, aggravated forcible sexual abuse, 10 counts of forcible sodomy, object rape, lewdness, three counts of burglary, criminal trespassing, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and 10 counts of enticing a minor.”
Donate to help FLOODLIT cover our research expenses, including obtaining court records and police documents.
- Seminary teacher accused of sexually assaulting student - YouTube - 2009-07-11 (archive) - -
- Mormon seminary principal in Utah suspected of sex with student - Denver Post - 2009-07-11 (archive) - -
- Former seminary principal gets prison for sexually abusing teen - Provo Daily Herald - 2010-09-21 (archive) - -
LDS/Mormon church membership historyAdd info | Back to top
- Start date:
- End date:
- Country: United States
- State: Utah
- Held at the time of the alleged crime(s)? no
- Held at the time of being publicly accused or arrested? no
LDS mission information
FLOODLIT is not aware whether the accused served a full-time LDS mission.
LDS temple marriage information
FLOODLIT is not aware whether the accused was married in a Mormon temple.
EducationAdd info | Back to top
Work historyAdd info | Back to top
Alleged crime(s)Add info | Back to top
Alleged victim(s)Add info | Back to top
- Number of alleged victim(s) - note if approximate:
- Average age of alleged victim(s) at time of alleged crime(s):
Arrest(s)Add info | Back to top
Criminal charge(s)Add info | Back to top
Criminal verdict(s)Add info | Back to top
Criminal sentenceAdd info | Back to top
Prison timeAdd info | Back to top
Other court casesAdd info | Back to top
LDS church response(s)Add info | Back to top
- Alleged failure to report by local LDS leaders? no
- Alleged misconduct by local LDS leaders? no
- Alleged misconduct by global LDS leaders? no
FLOODLIT is not aware whether the Mormon church paid any settlement amounts related to this case.